Field studies on the impact of lowered pH on coral reefs at natural underwater hydrothermal vents in the Straits of Malaccca.
Photo credit: Aileen Tan Shaw Hwai
Recognizing a broad range of emerging environmental issues such as microplastics, harmful jellyfish, marine renewable energies, and ocean international frameworks, WESTPAC addresses the need, mainly via its working groups, to encourage scientific research, technical analyses and syntheses of scientific information needed to effectively address these emerging issues, inform policy, and advance solutions in a timely manner.
- WG 006: Working Group on Energy and Materials Exchange between Land and Open Ocean (2017-2019)
- WG 005: Working Group on Ocean Oxygen Network (WESTPAC O2NE, 2017-2019)
- WG 004: Working Group on Marine Renewable Energy Technology Development (2012-2017)
- WG 003: Working Group on Mapping the Harmful Jellyfishes (2012-2017)
- WG 002: Working Group on World Ocean Assessment (2010-2015)
- WG 001: Working Group on Asian Dust and its Impact on Ocean Ecosystem (2010-2015)